You may have heard about the record setting 2017 verdict in the Johnson & Johnson lawsuit case over the talc used in their baby powder, which has been backed by scientific study to be a possible carcinogen, specifically in terms of increasing risk of ovarian cancer…
…The International Agency for Research on Cancer (part of the World Health Organization) classifies the genital use of talc-based body powder as “possibly carcinogenic to humans”. The US Center for Disease Control, however, doesn’t list it as an ovarian cancer risk, and the American Cancer Society say “they don’t know yet”.
And so, we find that some talc-based powders carry a warning label stating the possible risk of ovarian cancer after frequent application in the female genital area – yet several others, including J & J’s products, do not.
If you’d rather make your own safe, natural alternative, here’s our favourite ‘recipe’:
DoIt-Yourself ‘BABY BUM DUST’
You can make a couple of versions of this…one for basic daily use to keep your baby’s bottom dry and free of chafing or skin irritation. The other is for sore bottoms, and we’ll show you both.
The ‘Basic Bum Dust’ is super easy and makes a great alternative to the talc-based baby powders you buy in stores.
You simply combine 3 simple ingredients and store it in a shaker bottle…like the stainless steel “confectioners sugar / icing sugar” shakers with the fine mesh tops – OR you can use a larger salt shaker of some sort.
The Basic Bum Dust ‘recipe’ is super easy:
- 1 Cup Cornstarch (you can find Organic Non-GMO Cornstarch – one brand is Edward & Son’s – costs about $3.00 CAD/box)
- 1 Cup Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate) Sodium bicarbonate or ‘good ‘ol baking soda, is really alkalinizing, making it beneficial for rashes and yeast infections. It also helps naturally exfoliate dead skin cells and helps relieve any skin soreness.
- 15 drops genuine therapeutic grade Lavender essential oil (We’re talking about true Lavandula angustifolia) or ‘French Lavender’ which we choose to buy from Young Living Essential Oils, as they’re the modern-day pioneers of this & other safe oils that we know are properly grown, harvested, distilled, and bottled to have all the properties in tact we’re looking for.
Sore Bottom Bum Dust: this one is basically the same except it switches out the cup of baking soda for a couple of Tablespoons of Bentonite clay instead, and adds Chamomile and Frankincense essential oil along with the Lavender.
- 1 cup cornstarch (we use Edward & Son’s Organic cornstarch)
- 2 Tbsp Bentonite clay powder (we use Redmond brand)
- 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 drops Roman Chamomile when available or in season
- 2 drops true Frankincense Essential Oil
Also available from Young Living – safe ready-to-go, natural ‘Seedlings™’ BABY PRODUCTS infused with genuine therapeutic essential oils. Shipped to your door.
TO ORDER genuine Young Living Essential Oils wholesale (Save 24% off all the time) visit http://www.YoungLiving.com, choose your country and click ‘Become a Member’. Enter the Enroller/Sponsor code# of your Young Living contact person, OR, CLICK HERE to activate your free wholesale member account.