Angelica (Angelica archangelic) originates in Belgium and France. Part of the botanical family Apiaceae, Angelica is a close relation of the herb Dong quai (Angelica sinensis), long used in Chinese medicine for its estrogen-like activity. Angelica’s rich, fragrant essential oil is steam distilled from the seeds and roots of this beautiful, tall, biennial plant.
Known historically as the “holy spirit root”, or the “oil of angels” by Europeans, Angelica’s healing powers were so strong it was believed to be of divine origin.(1) In fact, “the whole plant was once used as protection agains the plague. A well-know story tells of a monk who dreamed that an angel visited him and told him to use the herb to cure plague-smitten people, hence the name angelica.” (2)
The sweet, rich scent of Angelica blends well with basil, chamomile, geranium, grapefruit, lavender, and lemon. It is used in the perfume industry, in the delicious liqueurs Chartreuse and Benedictine, and it’s tender young stems are often candied and are popular for decorating cakes and desserts. Aromatherapy use includes “assisting in the release of pent-up negative feelings and restoring memories to the point of origin before trauma or anger was experienced.”(3)
100% pure therapeutic grade Angelica essential oil is known to have anticoagulant, relaxant, and antispasmodic (preventing or relieving cramps or spasms in intestines or uterus) medicinal properties. “One 2013 study of college students found that inhaling angelica essential oil not only decreased their level of craving for nicotine, it also extended the period between cravings”, and “In 2005 a laboratory study found that angelica essential oils have anticarcinogenic effects.”(4)
Practical uses for Angelica essential oil include the following:
- throat and respiratory infections; helps decongest lungs, remove excess mucous, and reduces fever during colds, bronchitis, and influenza.
- menstrual problems/PMS
- skin care preparations; nourishes skin, softens & smooths, reduces inflammation & psoriasis
- massage oil blends; acts as lamphatic stimulator, purifies blood, increases energy, and strengthens body systems, particularly the heart
- tonic for digestive system; stimulates appetite, tones and strengthens liver, dispels intestinal gas, relieves cramps, eases indigestion, stomach ulcers and colic
- Used in baths, massage oils, and compresses, for cystitis and urethritis, easing painful periods, and encouraging production of estrogen.
- relieves exhaustion, stress, a tired mind, and strengthen’s nerves
- can be used to ease headache, migraine, and toothache
- smoking cessation / reducing nicotine cravings
CAUTIONS: Photosensitivity ~ avoid using more than 1 drop Angelica essential oil per 2 teaspoons carrier oil on skin that will be exposed to sunlight within 12 hours. For normal use dilute 1:1 with carrier oil and apply 1-2 drops on location.
Methods of application:
“Apply topically, inhale directly, diffuse up to 30 minutes 3X daily. Dilute 1:1 with a pure vegetable oil, put in capsule, and take up to 3 times daily or as needed as a dietary supplement.”(5)
100% pure therapeutic grade Angelica (Angelica archangelic) essential oil is available from Young Living Essential Oils. See order information below.
(2). (4). The Complete Aromatherapy & Essential Oils Handbook for Everyday Wellness, Nerys Purchon and Lora Cantele. ©2014. Robert Rose Inc.
(3). (5). Essential Oils Desk Reference, Sixth Edition, © 2014, Life Science Publishing. p.78
IMPORTANT: THE INFORMATION WITHIN THIS DOCUMENT WAS OBTAINED FROM REPUTABLE RESOURCES (REFERENCED), LECTURES, AND BIOCHEMISTRY EDUCATION WHICH THE AUTHOR HAS RECEIVED OVER THE PAST TWO DECADES. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PRESCRIBE OR RECOMMEND A PARTICULAR TREATMENT OR PROTOCOL, BUT RATHER, TO EMPOWER THE READER WITH KNOWLEDGE THAT MIGHT HELP THEM TO HELP THEMSELVES TO BETTER HEALTH NATURALLY.
To order the finest oils produced with utmost purity from world leader in essential oils at 24% discount CLICK HERE
or visit our Facebook Page: Ounces Of Prevention