Using Your Oils
This guide will help you to understand the variety of ways in which you can experience the health-enhancing benefits of your pure YL Essential Oils.
Not all essential oils are created equally. In fact, 98% of essential oils on the market today are substandard and may not be used in the manners described below. Young Living is the only company that follows the Seed To Seal process where they can promise purity in each of their five careful steps. Essential oils are not intended to be applied to sensitive tissues. Some essential oils can have possible skin sensitivity. Not all essential oils are considered to be GRAS (generally regarded as safe). Please check with your user manual or the definitive ‘Essential Oils Desk Reference ~ 6th Edition‘ (Life Science Publishing) for guidelines.
This website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, please consult your health care practitioner prior to using your essential oils in any of the ways described below.
Guidelines for inhaling your pure YL Essential Oils:
- Inhale directly—simply smell them right in the bottle. OR place a drop or two in the palm of your hand, and either rub or clap your hands together to distribute the oil molecules, then cupping hands to face, breath deeply.
- Diffuse oils using a diffuser, such as the ‘Dewdrop’ essential oil ultrasonic diffuser which comes in your Young Living Premium Starter Kit. A quality diffuser will disperse the oil into the air within an extremely fine vapour. The diffuser does not heat the oils, thus ensuring full benefits. It is important to note that extreme heat can damage important constituents in essential oils.
- Use essential oils with a humidifier, but do not put essential oils in your humidifier, as they will float on top of the water rather than rising with the vapour. Instead, place a tissue or cloth sprinkled with a few drops of oil in front of the escaping steam or mist to help disperse the aroma into the room.
- You may also pour hot water into a bowl and add a few drops of essential oil. Lean your head over the bowl, covering your head and the bowl with a towel, like a ‘tent’. Breathe deeply and slowly.
For use in bath water for both inhalation and topical benefits, add a few drops of pure essential oil to a quarter cup of ‘Epsom Salt’ (magnesium sulfate) or a coarse grey sea salt and stir well to make a ‘bath salt’ carrier for your oil. This prevents the precious oil from simply floating on top of the bath water or sticking to the edge of the bath tub.
Simple steps for the topical application of pure YL essential oils:
- Topically, some essential oils can be applied straight or “neat” with no dilution, but most should be diluted 50/50 (one to one part with carrier oil such as coconut, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, or YL’s V-6 Complex). This will give your pure oils greater coverage on larger areas. Sweet almond oil is ideal because it is similar to the natural oil in our skin.
- Some of the most potent EO blends should be diluted 20/80 (1 to 4 with carrier oil or YL’s V-6 Complex) before applying to the skin, and should be kept out of reach of children. Young Living’s DiGize and Thieves blends in the Starter Kit fall into this category.
- Milder oils such as Lavender and Copaiba (also found in the YL Premium Starter Kit) do not need to be diluted, may be applied straight, and are safe for children over 2 years old.
- Using a reliable reference book, such as the Desk Reference mentioned above, or a reliable online resource can help to know how best to use your oils.
- If the essential oil or blend you are using may be used straight without a carrier oil, carefully place 2 to 3 drops in the palm of your hand and apply to desired application area, or place drops directly on the desired area.
- When dropping oil into your hand, rub your palms together in a circular motion and then massage the oil into the desired point of application. If applying directly to the desired area, use your hand to massage the oil in a circular motion into the skin.
- NOTE: Most of the pure essential oils in your YL Premium Starter Kit are for both aromatic and topical use. Some pure essential oils, however, are very potent and some may be irritating to the skin. If irritation occurs, immediately apply pure vegetable oil such as YL V-6™ Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex, or other quality career oil, such as sweet almond oil to the area to dilute. Please read label directions for each individual oil before using on skin.
Many essential oils may be used as food flavorings or dietary supplements. Before using any essential oil for internal consumption, however, first research your oil for it’s therapeutic benefits and to find out whether or not it is one you may ingest. The definitive ‘Essential Oils Desk Reference ~ 6th Edition‘ (Life Science Publishing) is a great resource.
- Place several drops of an internally consumable pure essential oil into an empty capsule and swallow the capsule with water.
- OR add 1–2 drops to a glass of almond milk, or rice milk.
- OR put 1–2 drops into some apple sauce, or add to your meals when eating.
- Add 1–2 drops onto a teaspoon of Agave nectar or honey and swallow.
- Place a drop on the end of your thumb or index finger and rub on the roof of your mouth. Use caution with this method. Many essential oils are potent – tasting just a portion of one drop will help to determine the amount of oil to be used.
Again, this website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, please consult your health care practitioner prior to using your pure essential oils in any of the ways listed above.